Friday, December 3, 2010

Dream Job

It was Thursday, I was at work and about to lay down for a nap. That didn't happen. Phone rang and I got the call I was waiting for. The lady on the other end informed me "AHS (Alberta Health Services) would like to offer you[me] a casual position with Calgary Metro." I was excited. The process had taken about six weeks and I had been waiting for over a year just for the opportunity to apply. So after all the details were passed on, I talked to my manager where I worked full-time that I would need sometime off for orientation. No problem so on Monday I will be sitting in a classroom.

So why am I nervous? Is it the apprehension of something new? I got to thinking about the differences between Calgary and the rural services (Two Hills - full-time and Strathmore - casual) I work for now.
Calgary is a big city with over a million people residing within its limits. The rural areas have 50,000 people combined. Calgary has about 30 full-time units and also a number of peak cars and pru's and again combined the rural services had five full-time (2 ALS and 3 BLS). It is quite clear that size is the major difference.

My nervousness stems from the apprehension that working for a large urban service rather than a rural service is a new experience. It will have its own set of pros and cons and will definitely add to the learning curve ride I'm still on. Being a casual position I have the opportunity to work about as much as I like which enables some flexibility so here's to a new beginning...


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

1 comment: